Breastfeeding can be a wonderful bonding experience for you and your baby. But painful, cracked nipples can put a spanner in the works. Don’t let this uncomfortable problem come between you and your little one. These tips on coping with cracked nipples and some simple remedies to manage the problem will put the joy back in nursing again. And for those expectant mothers who are already experiencing sensitive breasts and nipples before the arrival of your baby, this will help you too!
How To Manage And Heal Cracked Nipples
During pregnancy and when you’re lactating, your body undergoes numerous hormonal changes to enable your body to prepare for lactation and then to produce milk when your baby arrives. This can make your breasts feel tender and heavy. Your nipples may also become more sensitive at this time. Some women also experience cracking and soreness of the nipples which can be uncomfortable and even painful.
Here are some ways to cope with the problem:
- Use a warm damp compress to soothe cracked and painful nipples. When you’re nursing, do this after each feed.
- Wear comfortable bras that are not too tight for you. Stick to using one made of cotton that allows air circulation.
- Have your doctor or a breastfeeding or lactation consultant check that your baby is latching properly and your nursing position is fine. An improper latch or awkward position can sometimes cause the baby’s hard palate to pinch down on your nipple.
- When feeding your baby, offer the less sore breast first. If it is too painful to even feed on that breast, express milk to maintain supply on that breast but feed your baby only from the breast that isn’t cracked/sore.
- Do not use a breast pump that has very strong suction, this can worsen the problem. Instead, try hand expressing milk until your nipples heal.
- If you use breast pads, be sure to change them at each feed. Try to stick to soft pads and not those that have plastic at the back, those can be more painful and rough to an already-sensitive nipple.
- Apply a little expressed breast milk to the cracked nipple after each feed and let it air dry. This can soothe irritated skin and help heal the area.
Treatment for Cracked Nipples - A Soothing Nipple Cream
Effective way to deal with cracked nipples is to use a nipple cream. Mums in the know the world over have always used various creams and oils to soothe sore nipples.
Pregnant women and new mums today now have reliable off-the-shelf options like Mamaxpert Soothing Nipple Cream, which can help with cracked and sore nipples. The cream is suitable for use by both pregnant women and those nursing their babies. The natural oils in the nipple cream deeply moisturize your skin, helping reduce the cracking and dryness and making your breasts feel healthy and supple again.
You don’t have to struggle with the pain of cracked nipples any longer. Find out more about the simple and effective Mamaxpert Soothing Nipple Cream and learn more tips and remedies for other pregnancy-related problems on the Mamaxpert blog.